How a Post-Production Supervisor Can Save Your Butt!
So how can a Post-Production Supervisor save your butt? Well, I’ve been a Post-Production Supervisor for over 15 years and have seen a lot of indie filmmakers get beaten up, taken advantage of and just plain ripped off in the post-production process.
In short, the Post-Production Supervisor is there to protect the film or project from going over budget, getting ripped off and making sure everything is done on time and budget.
Here is the official definition of a Post-Production Supervisor:
Post-Production Supervisors are responsible for the post production process, during which they maintain clarity of information and good channels of communication between the producer, editor, supervising sound editor, the facilities companies (such as film labs, CGI studios and negative cutters) and the production accountant.
The Post-Production Supervisor has a pivotal role in ensuring that the film’s post-production budget is manageable and doable and that all deadlines are met.
The role of the Post-Production Supervisor varies depending on the type of film or project and the all-important budget.
On a big budget, visual effects heavy film projects, Post-Production Supervisors start work during pre-production, going as an in between with the VFX House and ensuring that the producer is aware of all the creative and budgetary considerations and how they may impact on the all-important post-production period.
I know many Post-Production Supervisors who work on huge studio tent poles and let’s just say they are aging fast! It’s a high-stress job, to say the least.
On smaller budget film projects they also advise on the limitations that may need to be applied to the shoot in order to finish it, as well as providing an overall picture of what can be realistically achieved in post-production within the budget.
Take a listen as I describe what a Post-Production Supervisor does, what to look for when hiring one and how they can save you money in post-production.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Post Production Consulting
- IFH 014: Post Production Workflow – Understand It or DIE!
- Tugg: Theatrical Self Distribution
- IFH: Guerrilla Indie Film School
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you like this episode, then take a listen to:
Post Production Workflow – Understand It or DIE!
Enjoyed “How a Post-Production Supervisor Can Save Your Butt!” Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.