VFX Supervisor: Their Role & How They Can Help Your Film
How can a VFX Supervisor make your indie film’s VFX shine? I’ve been a VFX Supervisor on multiple feature films, shorts, commercials, and music videos. My job was to get the shots the director wanted to be executed at a very high standard and of course on a budget.
The official definition of visual effects or VFX supervisor is:
VFX Supervisors are responsible for achieving the creative aims of the director and/or producers through the use of visual effects.
Specific responsibilities a VFX Supervisor vary depending on the budget, scope and the nature of the production, however most VFX supervisors:
- Handle a VFX project from the start of the project through to completion
- They oversee the technical, artistic, and production personnel on the visual effect team
- Possess knowledge of various VFX techniques including an emphasis on camera set-ups and film knowledge with an eye for composition and camera work.
- Accurately predict timing and budget associated with the project
- Collaborate with production on the bidding and the negotiation processes
I’ve seen many independent films come through my doors at Numb Robot with VFX dreams in their eye but also with no understanding or budget on how to achieve them; that’s where a good VFX Supervisor comes in.
In this episode I breakdown what a VFX Supervisor does and also the things indie filmmakers need to understand before creating Jurassic World in their backyard.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Understand the VFX Pipeline Online Course – DOWNLOAD HERE
- IFH: Online Indie Film School
- USC Film School’s ONLY On-line Course: Directing the Actor
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you like VFX Supervisor: Their Role & How They Can Help Your Film, then click below:
Indie Film VFX Master Class with Dan Cregan
Enjoyed “VFX Supervisor: Their Role & How They Can Help Your Film” Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.