Indie Film Producing – The Craft of Low Budget Filmmaking with Suzanne Lyons
Today on the show we have returning champion producer Suzanne Lyons. Suzanne was one of my first guests (IFH 015) on the podcast. Her episodes are some of my most downloaded episodes so I had to have her back on to talk shop.
Suzanne will go over a ton of information on how to produce an indie feature film. She covers:
- The dos and don’ts of Low Budget Filmmaking
- What is Soft Prep?
- Working with unions
- The hell of deliverables
- and much more
In 1999 Suzanne Lyons launched Snowfall Films and to date has produced/executive produced twelve movies. These included A BAFTA award-winning British comedy UNDERTAKING BETTY(aka “Plots With A View”), with actors Christopher Walken, Brenda Blethyn, Alfred Molina and Naomi Watts with Miramax Distribution. British/Canadian thriller JERICHO MANSIONS staring James Caan, Genevieve Bujold, Maribel Verdu and Jennifer Tilly. JERICHO MANSIONS was an official selection at the Montreal Film Festival and the Hollywood Film Festival. British/Canadian family comedy BAILEY’S BILLION$ which stars Dean Cain, Laurie Holden, Tim Curry, and Jon Lovitz. A drama HEART IS DECEITFUL ABOVE ALL THINGS, based on J.T. LeRoy novel, starring Asia Argento, Marilyn Manson, Winona Ryder and Peter Fonda. The film premiered during the Directors Fortnight at the Cannes Film Festival and screened to high acclaim at the Toronto Film Festival.
In 2012 Ms. Lyons published her book through Focal Press (Taylor and Francis Publishing) titled Indie Film Producing: The Craft of Low Budget Filmmaking, which is the #1 book on Indie Film Producing on Amazon.
We also discuss Suzanne’s new course Indie Film Producing Masterclass:
Here’s some info on the Indie Film Producing Masterclass:
Have you ever wondered what it really takes to produce an independent film? How raise money, dealing with contracts, SAG agreements and putting together sales presentations for investors? Then this masterclass is for you.
Award-winning film producer Suzanne Lyons is about to take you from script to screen and beyond in this Mastermind workshop. After producing a number of bigger budget features Suzanne thought producing the SAG ultra-low and modified budget films would be a piece of cake. Boy, was she wrong? Wearing 100 different hats was a challenge and she learned so much. And now she will be sharing all that great info with you.
In this Mastermind workshop, you’ll learn from her experience and benefit from her success. Suzanne will take you through a structured crystal, clear step by step process that will actually make low budget filmmaking easy and fun!
This workshop is unique in that it will literally guide you through the entire process of making your film. From her own hands-on experience, she will be addressing every detailed facet of filmmaking.
“Suzanne has that rare ability to combine artistic creativity and smart business sense… she’s proven that by taking a SAG ultra-low budget and somehow squeezing out a quality film that looks like it cost a million!”
Academy Award® Winner Mark L. Smith, Writer/Director “Séance” Writer, “The Revenant”
“Suzanne is brilliant… take her workshop and put her suggestions to work and you’ll be amazed at the extraordinary results you’ll produce.”
Ross Grayson Bell, Producer “Fight Club”
From option a screenplay, development, designing your business plan, opening your film company, hiring your line producer and director. Finessing your budget, schedule and film timeline. Being smart about contracts and paperwork. Casting and working with actors. The details of pre, principle, and post, choosing your sales agent, preparing for film delivery and festivals, and so so so much more.
You’ll also get a BONUS PACK of the real world used contracts, agreements and business plans word and PDF worth over thousands.
Enjoy my conversation with producer Suzanne Lyons.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Indie Film Producing Masterclass with Suzanne Lyons
- Suzanne Lyons – Official Site
- Suzanne Lyons – IMDB
- Suzanne Lyons – Production Company
- Indie Film Producing: The Craft of Low Budget Filmmaking – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
- IFH 010: Suzanne Lyons: How to Produce Your First Feature Film
- IFH 105: Secrets of Indie Film Producing with Suzanne Lyons
- Soundstripe.com – Find the Perfect Song for Your Project (DISCOUNT CODE: IFH – 10% discount off of a membership)
- Streamlette – Looking for the Best Indie Films? (Coupon Code: HUSTLE2018)
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- How to Shoot and Direct an Improvised Feature Film in 24 hours
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
BONUS: Filmmaking Resources
- Martin Scorsese’s Film Directing MasterClass
- Ron Howard’s Film Directing MasterClass
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Film Lighting MasterClass
- Recording Sound for Indie Film
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you liked Indie Film Producing – The Craft of Low Budget Filmmaking with Suzanne Lyons,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Indie Film Producing – The Craft of Low Budget Filmmaking with Suzanne Lyons? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…