Shooting an Improv Feature, with Movie Stars, in 5 Days with Jamie Adams
As promised today’s guest is Jamie Adams, the writer/director of the new film Alright Now starring (Cobie Smulders, “How I Met Your Mother, Avengers”). You can listen to her interview here. I wanted to chat with Jamie because he has made a career of shooting feature films fast, cheap and completely improv.
As you all know I shot my first two features, This is Meg and On the Corner of Ego and Desire, using the same style and techniques. They’re not a ton of film directors shooting features films like this, let alone films with major movie stars in them, so I had to have him on to discuss his process.
in this interview Jamie breaks down:
- How he was able to cast Cobie Smulders
- What his process is when writing the scriptment
- How he works with actors
- How he covers a scene
- and much more
Here’s a bit about the film:
ALRIGHT NOW follows Joanne (Cobie Smulders, “How I Met Your Mother, Avengers”) a rock musician who drunkenly enrolls in college after she breaks up with her boyfriend and her band falls apart. Convinced she will give the youngsters a run for their money, Joanne is shocked to discover that no one knows who she is and they could care less about her rock star past. Completely improvised and Directed by Jamie Adams (Black Mountain Poets), ALRIGHT NOW is a feel-good comedy about love, life and the search for new beginnings.
Here’s the trailer for his award-winning film Black Mountain Poets.
Claire and Lisa Walker are neurotic sisters on the run who assume the identities of Internationally renowned poets The Wilding Sisters to take refuge at a Poetry Retreat for the weekend; spending time in the black mountains of Wales amongst poets and the inspiration of nature leads to a new beginning for our heroines.
Enjoy my conversation with writer/director Jamie Adams.
Alright Now is out Sept 9th on VOD from Gravitas Ventures.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Soundstripe.com – Find the Perfect Song for Your Project (DISCOUNT CODE: IFH – 10% discount off of a membership)
- Streamlette – Looking for the Best Indie Films? (Coupon Code: HUSTLE2018)
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- How to Shoot and Direct an Improvised Feature Film in 24 hours
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
BONUS: Filmmaking Resources
- Martin Scorsese’s Film Directing MasterClass
- Ron Howard’s Film Directing MasterClass
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Film Lighting MasterClass
- Recording Sound for Indie Film
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you liked Shooting an Improv Feature, with Movie Stars, in 5 Days with Jamie Adams,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Shooting an Improv Feature, with Movie Stars, in 5 Days with Jamie Adams? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…