Ask Alex – I’m Making My First Feature Film…HELP!
So this episode is going to be fun. I’m starting a new segment I call “Ask Alex.” Yes, I know it’s very creative = ) I asked the IFH Tribe to submit questions to [email protected] and I’ll do my best to answer them. This week we have a bunch of question from tribe member Kenny from Sweden. Here are the questions I answered in this week’s podcast:
- Which is the best type of camera to buy for your first feature that is cheap? (DSLR or anyone else. Also including lenses or where you can use one lens?)
- Which is the most important person to hire, a DP or a sound guy for a film? I´ve heard both. Some say good footage and others good sound.
- If you don´t have English as your first language should you make your films in your own language since it is your mother tongue or in English(If you know how to speak of course) to reach a bigger market since more people understands and speak English?
- Which format is best to use for the finished film? (I know you had a podcast about this but I want to hear your personal opinion)
- Which part of post cost most money on of following things, sound, colorist or foley. I think it is in that order. Is that correct? How much of the budget should you save for post-production in your opinion?
- Should you do this and if so the best ways to send an edited film over the internet for sound editing and colorization and maybe name a few companies that do this for small independent films. Would you be interested in doing that?
- What do you say about moving to LA to be a filmmaker if you come from another country? (You had a podcast about that but I am thinking based on an international perspective from a foreigner)
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- IFH 098: How to Build a Pimp’d Out BlackMagic Cinema Camera Rig on the CHEAP!
- IFH 101: How to Record Audio for Your Indie Film on the CHEAP!
- THROWBACK FRIDAY: Do I Need to Move to Los Angeles to Make it in the Film Business?
- This is Meg – Feature Film
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon RK8MV-C 8mm T3.8 Cine Fisheye Lens
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon Cine CV10M-C 10mm T3.1 Cine Wide Angle Lens
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon Cine CV14M-C 14mm T3.1 Cine Wide Angle Lens
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon CV24M-C 24mm T1.5 Cine Wide Angle Lens
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon Cine CV35-C 35mm T1.5 Aspherical Wide Angle Cine Lens
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon Xeen XN50-C 50mm T1.5 Professional Cine Lens
- Cinema Lenses – Rokinon CV85M-S 85mm t/1.5 Aspherical Lens
- VideoBlocks.com – (IFH Discount SAVE $50)
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking Master Class
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- Hans Zimmer Film Scoring MasterClass
- Dustin Hoffman Acting Masterclass
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you liked Ask Alex – I’m Making My First Feature Film…HELP!, then you’ll love:
Why Filmmakers are Always So Damn Broke & What They Can Do to Change It
Enjoyed Fast and Cheap: Lessons Learned for the No-Budget Feature? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.