Do I Need to Move to Los Angeles to Make it in the Film Business?
So you want to move to Los Angeles and make it big in Hollywood. The question is, should you? Do you need to? When should you if you do? What kind of plan should I have in place? What should you do if you live in another country? All will be answered in this episode.
My journey to Los Angeles is a long and painful one, as I’m sure it is for many. The first time I attempted to leave my small pond of Miami, FL and make a go of it in Los Angeles I had my butt handed to me.
Los Angeles ate me alive and I had over $300 in parking tickets. Rough! I went back to Miami with my tail between my legs. It took me six years before I would make another attempt but this time I sold my house in Florida and almost everything I owned and had my girlfriend (my wife now) in tow.
I knew three people in Los Angeles and had no job prospects but everything worked out great. Take a listen to this transplants story and see if moving to Hollywood makes sense for you.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
Enjoyed this blog post? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.