Are you an indie film marketing spammer?
This week I ask, are you an indie film marketing spammer? Do you ask people you just met online to support your film or kickstarter campaign without taking the time to build a relationship? Do you blast your latest reel or trailer on every online outlet you can post it on? Then you might be an indie film marketing spammer.
When I first started marketing myself and my films I was a spammer. I would spam all my links, videos, and pictures aiming them back to my desired webpage. This did get me some traffic but I also upset a lot of websites and people in the process.
They pretty much blacklisted me and it made that much harder to promote my films in the future.
Now, when I started promoting my work in a more cohesive way, in a give and take manner, I saw my traffic and sales go way up without alienating people.
You must provide value to people before you ask them for anything. When I promoted my short films I made sure to have a kick-ass trailer that would provide value to websites so they would be willing to post my material for their community. It makes the webmasters look good to their community if they can show them an underground treasure.
Many filmmakers don’t take the time or energy to create enticing marketing materials for themselves or their film projects. I’ll be going into more detail on how to create impactful film marketing materials in a series of future posts.
In this episode, I’m here to help you get eyes on your films, your reel, or yourself without being an indie film marketing spammer pissing everyone off in the process.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
Enjoyed this blog post? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…