Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
Shooting a Micro-Budget Film in a War Zone with Benjamin Gilmour
Today on the is one of the craziest and bravest indie filmmakers I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting, writer/director Benjamin Gilmour. His film Jirga was shot with a tw0 person crew, a Sony A7s Camera he purchased at a local camera shop and an ever-changing screenplay. Did I mention he shot this film in Afghanistan? Check out the trailer below.
Three years after an Australian army helicopter raid on a small village led to the killing of an unarmed man, former Australian soldier Mike (Sam Smith) returns to Afghanistan to find the victim’s family. He sets off on a perilous journey over a terrain where both the Taliban and ISIS are active. Mike is determined to make amends and so puts his life in the hands of the Jirga – the village justice system. Jirga is screening in US cinemas in August
This unconventional film about the war in Afghanistan became Australia’s submission for the Oscar’s Foreign Language category in 2019. As we spoke on this episode my mouth keeps dropping on the floor. One issue after another, with crazy stories and life-threating g situations this episode has it all. I dont’t want to hear any excuses. If you want to make your film you find a way to do it.
Enjoy my inspirational conversation with Benjamin Gilmour.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Benjamin Gilmour – Official Website
- Benjamin Gilmour – Facebook
- Benjamin Gilmour – Twitter
- Guerilla Filmmakers Handbook
- The Gap: An Australian Paramedic’s Summer on the Edge
- Warrior Poets: Guns, movie-making and the wild west of Pakistan
- Alex Ferrari’s Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Story) Book- Buy It on Amazon
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Leave a Review for the IFH Podcast
- Industry Jump
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- $1 Close Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- David Lynch Filmmaking Masterclass
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you liked Shooting a Micro Budget Film in a War Zone with Benjamin Gilmour, then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Producing Shooting a Micro Budget Film in a War Zone with Benjamin Gilmour? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email, etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)