American Film Market: Selling Your Independent Film with Ben Yennie
If you have ever looked into selling your film at a film market then you more than likely have heard of the North America’s largest film market, AFM or the American Film Market.
The American Film Market is a labyrinth of crazy characters, thieves, wannabes, filmmakers hustling their latest film, distributors, industry professionals and of course buyers and sellers from around the globe.
My guest this week is Ben Yennie who has written the only real guide to this carnival called “The Guerilla Rep: American Film Market Distribution Success on No Budget.” You should not go to the “any” film market without reading this book.
It’s a no-nonsense guide to establishing relationships with distributors at The American Film Market or any film market around the globe like:
- Marché du Film (associated with Cannes International Film Festival)
- European Film Market (EFM, associated with the Berlin International Film Festival)
- Hong Kong International Film & TV Market (FILMART)
- Hot Docs (For Documentaries)
- Independent Film Week / Project Forum (formerly known as IFP Market)
- TIFFCOM (Content Market at the Tokyo International Film Festival)
Ben Yennie is a producer’s rep. Yes I know I did an earlier podcast warning you to stay away from evil producer’s reps (What’s a Producer’s Rep and How Not to be Ripped off!) but Ben is one of the good guys. He doesn’t take cash upfront to sell or represent your film at a film market.
His new book The Entrepreneurial Producer: A Series of Articles on Growing your Filmmaking Career is great as well. Here’s the down low on this remarkable book:
Film Schools are great at teaching you how to make a film, but not great at teaching you how to make money making film. The Entrepreneurial Producer: A Series of Articles on Growing your Filmmaking Career is designed to help bridge that gap, and teach the basics of Film Financing, Film Distribution, film Marketing, and general best business practices for filmmakers of all kinds.
Are you a filmmaker wanting to know the real “skinny” on what goes on at the buying and selling of films at film markets? Then, this podcast is for you. Ben Yennie spits some major gold on the American Film Market in this episode.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- The Guerilla Rep: American Film Market Distribution Success on No Budget – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
- The Entrepreneurial Producer: A Series of Articles on Growing your Filmmaking Career
- Producer’s Foundry Film Marketing Workshops
- American Film Market
- IFH: Guerrilla Indie Film School
- FreeFilmBook.com (Your FREE Audio Book)
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
- Indie Film Distribution Course: Secrets to Selling Your Film
Here’s Ben’s Seven Secrets to American Film Market Success
If you like this show take a listen to:
What’s a Producer’s Rep and How Not to be Ripped off!
Enjoyed this blog post? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…