Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
From Rapper to Indie Film Director with Xzibit
I had the pleasure of speaking to the legendary Xzibit at the Mammoth Film Festival last month. Why is a rapper on the podcast you may ask? Well not only is Xzibit a rapper, actor, and producer but he’s also a director as well. His new indie film/series is called BROKEN GROUND.
BROKEN GROUND is the directorial debut of multi-platinum recording artist and actor Alvin ‘Xzibit’ Joiner. Also written and produced by Xzibit, the series follows once-prominent west coast rapper James Savage (Jayo Felony) upon his release from prison as he seeks answers from the man who put him behind bars, ultimately sabotaging his career. The cast features Anthony Michael Hall, Anna Hutchison, Sticky Fingaz and Slink Johnson.
We discuss his work with some of the greatest directors working today, his approach to directing and what fear he broke through to make the jump in his career. It’s an eye-opening discussion. Enjoy my conversation with Xzibit.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Xzibit – Twitter
- Xzibit – Production Company
- Alex Ferrari’s Shooting for the Mob Book- Amazon Pre-Order Link
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- $1 Close Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you liked From Rapper to Indie Film Director with Xzibit, then you’ll love:
Enjoyed From Rapper to Indie Film Director with Xzibit? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)