How to Have a Sustainable Career in the Film Business with Straw Weisman
I always talk about “hustle” and that “you have to keep moving forward no matter what” to make it in this business. Today’s guest is the most authentic example of those concepts I’ve ever met. Straw Weisman is a writer, director, producer, post supervisor, movie trailer writer/producer, film consultant, and film market guru. These are just some of jobs Straw has done in his over 40 years in the indie film business.
Through his own company, Marquee Productions, Straw has supervised post-production and/or associate produced or produced over 75 films, including “Without Men”, starring Eva Longoria and Christian Slater, “Abel’s Field”, starring Kevin Sorbo, “Shine On”, starring Jenna Dewan-Tatum, “Order of Redemption” with Busta Rhymes, Armand Assante and Tom Berenger, the multi-festival award-winning biopic “Crazy” featuring“Heroes” Ali Larder, “Magic”, a family film starring Christopher Lloyd as a talking dog, Richard Gere’s “The Flock”, “Sex and Breakfast”, starring Macaulay Culkin, “Say It In Russian”, featuring Faye Dunaway, the spiritually based sleeper hit “What The Bleep Do We Know!?”(which grossed over $16 Million at the box office), Tobe Hooper’s “The Toolbox Murders”, and the horror feature “Hatchet.” Marquee Productions has also played host to over 25 independent films, which have used its editing and audio facilities and Straw’s creative consultancy.
Straw and I have been working together on projects for close to 10 years. I wanted him to come on the show to discuss his career, how he keeps going, and what skills helped him to have such a long and sustainable career. Straw also shares a very intense story that will illustrate how tough and brutal this business can be.
My hope is that this interview not only inspires you but sheds a light on what is really needed to make it in the business. Enjoy my conversation with Straw Weisman.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Straw Weisman – Official Site
- Straw Weisman – Facebook
- Straw Weisman – IMDB
- Buy This is Meg on iTunes
- VideoBlocks.com – (IFH Discount SAVE $50)
- FREE Movie Trailer Editing Course
- Hollywood Film & Television Directing Masterclass (EXCLUSIVE 50% OFF)
- Directing Actors Master Course – (30% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- Get Your Film on Netflix, Hulu & Amazon & Keep 100% of the Revenue – Distribber
- Hollywood Camera Work: Mastering High-End Blocking and Staging (30% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- IFH Masters Circle Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
To share your thoughts:
To help the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Soundcloud or via RSS
Thank you Straw, for a great interview!!!
If you liked How to Have a Sustainable Career in the Film Business with Straw Weisman, then click below:
Enjoyed How to Have a Sustainable Career in the Film Business with Straw Weisman? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…