Kico Velarde: From Being Broke to Cannes
The Cinderella story that is Kico Velarde’s life is remarkable. From being a struggling out of work editor to becoming the toast of the Cannes International Film Festival to winning an Emmy for producing Jay Leno’s Garage. Crazy!!!
His film PVC-1 – was accepted into the Director’s Fortnight at the Cannes International Film Festival and was nominated for the Camera D’ Or Award in 2007. He became the toast of the festival but barely had two cents to rub together as he spent his last cash on tickets to the festival.
Check out the trailer to PVC-1:
After the festival it took some time to get back on his feet but then he got an opportunity of a lifetime, to work as an editor on a small YouTube show about Jay Leno’s Garage. Fast forward a year and he wins an Emmy for the show and the rest, as they say, is history.
If that wasn’t enough he also directed an award winning short film “The Shooting Star Salesman.” You can watch the entire short film below.
An embittered, magical salesman (Yancey Arias) repairs his shooting star machine and ventures out to restore people’s belief in shooting stars. Much to his dismay, he picks up a curious 8 year old tag along (Elijah Velarde) who starts to question if perhaps it’s the Salesman himself who needs to have his faith restored.
Kico’s story is truly an inspirational one. Take a listen and get ready to be inspired.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Kico Velarde
- Kico Velarde – Vimeo
- Kico Velarde – Twitter
- Jay Leno’s Garage
- IFH: Guerrilla Indie Film School
- FreeFilmBook.com (Your FREE Audio Book)
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you like this show then take a listen to:
How to Build an Indie Filmmaking Empire with Robert Rodriguez,
Enjoyed this blog post? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.