Film Distribution: Top 10 Rules for Success
When filmmakers go out into the world to try to sell their indie film it can be a bit dangerous. The shark infested waters that make up film distribution can be brutal. Since I’m now going down the same dangerous road with my film This is Meg, I decided to write up a few rules I found useful over the years when it comes to film distribution.
- Split Up Your Rights
- The Bigger the Deal the Less Control You Have
- Cap Your Film Distribution Expenses
- The Middle Men – Beware of the Deal
- Nothing is Guaranteed
- Cost vs Sale or R.O.I.
- Film Festivals Help…Sometimes
- Beware of Exclusive 5 Year Distribution Contract
- Don’t get caught with your pants down in Post Production
- E/O Insurance…gotta have it
I go into great detail about the list below in the podcast episode so take a listen. I hope to have the transcript for this episode up by next week. Happy selling.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- “This is Meg” Trailer
- INDIE FILM SYNDICATE Filmmaking Community (25% OFF)
- IFH 090: Life After Winning Sundance with Diane Bell
- IFH 017: Digital Distribution on VOD with Linda Nelson
- Filmmaking Podcast (Leave an iTunes Review)
- VideoBlocks.com – (IFH Discount SAVE $50)
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking Master Class
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- Hollywood Screenwriting Directory
- Final Draft 10
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- INDIE FILM SYNDICATE Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
If you like Top 10 Indie Film Distribution Rules for Success, then click below:
Why Filmmakers are Always So Damn Broke & What They Can Do to Change It
Enjoyed Top 10 Indie Film Distribution Rules for Success? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
You can now watch Indie Film Hustle’s Award Winning Short Films
(Played in over 600 International Film Festivals) for FREE on Amazon Video.