How to Get Bad Ass Prop Guns for Your Film
When my team and I were making my first short film BROKEN we really wanted to have functional and professional-looking guns for the project. Obviously, we weren’t going to use real guns and getting our hands on working prop guns was too cost prohibited.
We knew we could create some badass muzzle flashes in visual effects but I wanted to have some practical guns on set, that had blowback, to enhance the VFX and ultimately make the guns fights to look real.
After doing a ton of research we discovered Airsoft Guns or “Air Guns”(our killer prop guns). These are basically jacked up BB guns. They range in price from $12-$50 for good looking plastic replica pistols (excellent for wide shots) $20-$95 for metal replica pistols with realistic blowback (great for close-ups).
These guns added so much realism to the film. The combination of practical blowback with high-end visual effects was a killer combo.
Where to Find the Guns?
We even asked the local reseller if he had any broken guns in the back. He gave most of them to us for FREE and charged $5-$10 for $100 pistols. They didn’t work but they look great on camera.
Click on any of the links below to get some examples of Airsoft weapons.
Airsoft Prop Gun – Pistols Metal Pistols (with Blow Back):
- Desert Eagle Full Auto Airsoft Pistol (Best Air Gun Option)
- Crosman P15B CO2 Semi-Auto Blow Back BB Replica Pistol
- No6 Desert Eagle 50AE silver model Replica Gun
- Blackwater 1911 CO2 Airsoft Replica Pistol, 6mm
- Crosman PRO77 Kit Air Gun Replica Pistol
- Colt 100th Anniversary 1911 Co2 Full Metal Air Gun Replica Pistol, 6mm
Airsoft Green Gas (Fuel for Blow Back)
Airsoft Prop Gun – Pistols (Non-Blow Back):
Good for background and nonfiring shots
- Crosman Stinger P311 Air Gun Replica Pistol (Black) (Best Option)
- Firepower .45 Metal Slide Air Gun Replica Pistol, 6mm
- Umarex 2276008 Combat Zone Enforce Air Gun Replica Pistol
- Soft Air Taurus PT24/7 Spring Powered Air Gun Replica Pistol, Black
Airsoft Prop Gun – Shotguns:
- TM M870 GBB Shotgun (Best Option)
- UTG Everblast CQB Special Ops Airsoft Replica Shotgun
- UTG Multi-Shot Combat Tactical Airsoft Replica Shotgun – Full Stock Version
- Airsoft M500 Tactical Full Stock Pump Action Spring Replica Shotgun
Airsoft Prop Gun – Rifles:
- BBTac BT-6808 AK47 “Beta” CQB Fully Automatic Polymer Body Airsoft Electric Gun
- KP5 CM023 Airsoft Electric Replica Gun Full Size LOADED
- G36C (AEG write professional 10 years of age or older) (Best Option)
- Double Eagle M82 fully automatic Electric Replica Rifle
Airsoft Prop Gun – Grenade Launcher:
Airsoft Prop Gun – Sniper Rifle:
BONUS: Realistic Prop Knives & Prop Weapons
- Seasons Deluxe Aged Machete
- Seasons Realistic Knife
- Seasons Ninja Sword
- Seasons Pipe Wrench Zombie Weapon
Please note: When using these guns on set you MUST have to assign someone on set to be responsible for all the prop guns. These guns might not be real but they can hurt people.
Also please check your state and city laws in regards to owning or using Airsoft guns. Always be responsible and safe.
If I may quote one of my favorite Christmas films:
“You’ll shoot your eye out kid.” – A Christmas Story
It may be funny but it’s true. Have fun and be careful. Good luck and happy filming.
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
- Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you like this post on Bad Ass Prop Guns, check this out:
How to Build an Indie Filmmaking Empire with Robert Rodriguez
Enjoyed this blog piston How to get Bad Ass Prop Guns? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)