Horror Films: How to Make Your Indie Films Terrifying.
Making scary independent horror films in the current marketplace is difficult to say the least. Today’s sophisticated audiences are getting harder and harder to scare every day
When many filmmakers start out they make a film in the horror genre. It worked for famed filmmakers like Guillermo del Toro, Sam Raimi, George Romero, James Wan, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Roman Polanski, David Cronenberg and Alfred Hitchcock just to name a few.
On this week’s episode, I’m join by the aficionado of horror films Edwin Pagan from LatinHorror.com. We discuss what it takes to make terrifying horror films, the difference between Latino horror films versus Korean or American horror films and what is truly terrifying.
We also packed this scary episode with indie filmmaking tips on the do’s and don’ts of indie horror filmmaking, adventures of a working cinematographer in New York City and what it really takes to scare the hell out of your audience.
Don’t listen to episode alone. Happy Halloween and be safe everyone!
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Edwin Pagan Official Site
- The Talisman Trailer
- NALIP: National Association of Latino Independent Producers
- Guillermo del Toro Cabinet of Curiosities: My Notebooks, Collections, and Other Obsessions
- FreeFilmBook.com (Your FREE Audio Book)
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you like this show take a listen to:
Robert Rodriguez Interview: How to Build a Filmmaking Empire
Enjoyed this blog post on Horror Films? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.