Veydra Mini Cinema Primes: Real Cinema Lenses You Can Afford
If you’re an indie filmmaker and shoot your own stuff, the price of really good glass is generally too damn expensive and cinema-style primes lenses are totally out of reach…until now.
Until recently, the most cost effective cinema-style primes lenses have been pre-existing stills lenses, which can create problems with matching and physical layout. You have the “pulling focus issue” that still lenses have (top marks vs side marks for the 1st AC to pull focus).
Enter Veydra’s Mini Cinema Primes. This amazing company has put the power back in the hands of the indie filmmaker at an affordable cost. These extremely compact lenses have an amazing build and image quality. They are light, compact and just gorgeous.
Today’s guest is the co-founder of Veydra lenses Ryan Avery. We discuss all things lenses, what cinematographers are looking for and the core mission of Veydra, to help filmmakers. If you want to learn a bit more about how cinema lenses work or how a couple of filmmaking entrepreneurs built a killer company then take a listen.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- FilmConvert – (10% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- Hollywood Film & Television Directing Masterclass (EXCLUSIVE 50% OFF)
- Directing Actors Master Course – (30% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- Get Your Film on Netflix, Hulu & Amazon & Keep 100% off the Revenue – Distribber
- Hollywood Camera Work: Mastering High-End Blocking and Staging (30% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- Werner Herzog’s Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- INDIE FILM SYNDICATE Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
To share your thoughts:
To help the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
- Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, Soundcloud or via RSS
The Veydra Story
In late December 2014, Veydra set up a Kickstarter and ended with 199 filmmakers contributing $272,017.00 to realize these incredible cinema lenses.
Veydra is a premium cinema lens brand born from over 40 years of combined cinema industry design and marketing experience. Veydra has designed and/or manufactured designs for several major cinema-related products companies on the market today.
Purpose built for cinema acquisition applications, ALL Veydra lenses feature:
- Constant volume focus
- 0.8 cinema pitch gears on the iris/focus rings
- Constant T-Stop
- Common front diameter for quick lens changes in a real world production environment
- Optical glass elements with multi-coating for color consistency
- Constructed of the finest aircraft grade aluminum
- Exceed 4K resolution
Veydra lenses are designed with quality and value in mind. All Veydra products are priced at the absolute minimum retail price to help you achieve your creative vision. Here’s some more info on these game changing cinema lenses.
Lenses are available in Micro 4×3, Sony E C-Mount:
Good news for you who have invested in our Kickstarter, we will be making a special offer to all Kickstarter backers for our latest product updates which include a new Sony E and C Mount options as well as a lens support.
We often get emails asking for adaptability of the Veydra Mini Primes to other cameras than M4/3. The physical design of the Mini Primes is too small and the flange depth is too shallow (distance of the back of the lens to the sensor) to accommodate adaptation to Canon EF or PL mount. However, we can offer other shallow flange depth mounts like Sony E and C Mount. Therefore we will offer a Sony E mount for the Veydra 25mm, 35mm, 50mm and soon to be 85mm lenses in APS-C mode coverage on all Sony NEX or E mount cameras including the Sony A7s, A7RII, A6000, FS-700, and FS-7.
We will also offer a C Mount for direct mounting on Super16 film cameras and Digital Bolex cameras with no need for adapters. The C Mount will work on all current Veydra Mini Prime lenses except the 50mm which will require it’s own dedicated C Mount.
Info on lens support from Veydra:
There has been some significant discussion online about the inherent loose nature of the Micro4/3 mount. This is not so much as design flaw on the part of camera manufacturers as it is matter of original intention for the mount. PL mounts were made for “positive lock” on cinema cameras for heavy cinema lenses. Micro4/3 mount was meant for very small lightweight still photo lenses and therefore, when we put a heavier lens like the Veydra Mini Prime on it, the lens will move a bit.
We have addressed the issue by making a lens support which we will put on our website soon and send a special offer to Kickstarter backers. This will resolve the twisting of the mount and resulting image shift. When we originally designed the Veydra Mini Primes, we considered adding a built in lens support but it would have increased the size of the lens and complexity of manufacture so we decided to wait and see if a support would be required. Again, we apologize for the delay in this support as we expected to have it completed by now however it proved to be its own design challenge which we have resolved. We will ship the lens support for interface with 15mm LWS Rod systems in October.
Now I know what you’re going to say. $800+ is expensive. Yes and no. They are pretty inexpensive as far as quality cinema lenses are concerned. Check out the prices below:
- Veydra Mini Prime 12mm T2.2 Cinema Lens with Manual Focus – $1055
- Veydra Mini Prime 16mm T2.2 Cinema Lens with Manual Focus – $895
- Veydra Mini Prime 25mm T2.2 Cinema Lens with Manual Focus – $885
- Veydra Mini Prime 50mm T2.2 Cinema Lens with Manual Focus – $825
- Veydra Mini Prime 85mm T2.2 Cinema Lens with Manual Focus – $999
If you want to only use these on APS-C cameras, you’re only going to want the 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. If you are building a camera kit these lenses are easily the best bang for the buck out there. Sure there are a few other options when it comes to cheap cinema glass out there but none with the build and image quality you get out of the Veydra Mini Cinema Primes.
Veydra Mini Cinema Primes REVIEW for Sony E-mount Cameras
- Werner Herzog’s Filmmaking MasterClass
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Film Lighting MasterClass
- Recording Sound for Indie Film
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you like Veydra Mini Cinema Primes: Real Cinema Lenses You Can Afford, then click below:
Enjoyed Veydra Mini Cinema Primes: Real Cinema Lenses You Can Afford? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note: IFH was not paid for this interview or article.