11 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media
With social media taking over the world it is more necessary than ever to use it to get the word out on yourself, your film project or your production company. Most indie filmmakers have no idea of how to build an audience or how to use social media to promote and engage with that audience.
In this podcast I go into great detail on each of the 11 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media.
- Honor the Platform You are On: Each platform has it unique advantages and disadvantages.
- Create Native Uploads: Uploading video to Facebook and not just post a Youtube url is very beneficial. Facebook gives videos uploaded to the platform more reach. Same goes for images. Make sure images sizes work for each platform.
- Post Behind the Scenes Action: People still love seeing the filmmaking process. Don’t forget that.
- Create Different Kinds of Content: Shake it up. Jump from video to pictures to character memes to interview videos. Change your content type often.
- Don’t Under Estimate the Power of the Email: Build that email list!!!!!! Emails still convert 3 times more than social media.
- Hashtags and Harnessing Internet Trends: Why not jump on a train that already has momentum. More on this in the podcast.
- Communicate with your fans: Don’t just post into the ether
- Pick a Handle and Stick to It: Use the same handle across all social media platforms
- Say it with words: Insprational and funny quotes are huge on social media. Don’t always just post images. Add some fun text to stand out.
- Don’t Assume People will come to your Website: Your main hub for you entire online eco-system should be your website. All forms of marketing should be to drive traffic to that site. Once there hopefully you can get an email or sell a product. On your website you control the relationship. Not so much on Facebook. I go into great detail on this rule in the podcast.
- Be Creative! Your Filmmaker for God’s Sake: Nuff said!
Take a listen to the podcast to get a full breakdown of each rule.
Most of all these rules have helped me build up my social media reach on multiple social media platforms. I hope you find value in it. Keep on hustlin’.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- THIS IS MEG Crowdfunding Campaign
- Kung Fury
- THIS IS MEG Launch Team
- Twitter Hacks: Get 10,000 Twitter Followers in 10 Weeks
- Werner Herzog Master Class
- Aaron Sorkin Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- INDIE FILM SYNDICATE Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
If you like 11 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media, then click below:
11 Ways to Use It to Sell Your Indie Film with Social Media
Enjoyed 11 Golden Rules for Filmmakers on Social Media? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…