Making Your First Blockbuster: Write It. Film It. Blow it Up! with Paul Dudbridge
Today’s guest is Paul Dudbridge, author of Making Your First Blockbuster: Write It. Film It. Blow it Up! Paul Dudbridge is a British director, producer, cinematographer, and educator, making feature films, television, commercials, and music videos. Paul started producing at the age of 11 when he roped in his father to shoot his first short film. When the resulting footage didn’t match up to what he had seen in his head, Paul decided to go behind the camera himself, and from there the whole notion of making films; directing, scripts, shots and angles started to come about.
With over 20 years of experience in the business, Paul has numerous film and television credits to his name. His first broadcast credits include producing and directing ITV’s The Christmas Storybook, featuring legendary actor Joss Ackland, as well as directing music promos for MTV. His work as a cinematographer includes the action thriller By Any Name based on the best-selling book by Katherine John.
As a producer and director, he helmed the science-fiction series Horizon, which went on to win a number of awards at international film festivals, as well as earning Paul a Best Drama Director nomination at the Royal Television Society (WoE) awards in 2016. When not filming, Paul guest lectures at various universities and colleges around the country.
Most recently, he ran the Writing and Directing module for the Master’s course at the University of Bristol taught Cinematography at Falmouth Film School, and Advanced Cinematography workshops for BECTU, the UK’s media and entertainment trade union.
Here’s some info on his new book: Making Your First Blockbuster: Write It. Film It. Blow it Up!
Everything you need, from getting the script right, to the edit being tight, is laid out in an informal and easily digestible style. Making Your First Blockbuster covers not only all the major components but delves deep into the nuances that make the big blockbusters really deliver. The book uses examples from older and modern blockbuster movies, as well as the author’s own experiences on set to help demonstrate points clearly and make them easy to understand. Aimed at the professional filmmaker, this comprehensive new book also covers how you can shoot and utilize special and visual effects in your films as well as the techniques on how to shoot and edit action sequences safely, all whilst producing epic results on screen.
Enjoy my conversation with Paul Dudbridge.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Making Your First Blockbuster: Write It. Film It. Blow it Up!
- Shooting Better Movies: The Student Filmmakers’ Guide
- On the Corner of Ego and Desire April 25, 2019 – Chinese Theater, Hollywood
- Paul Dudbridge – Official Site
- Paul Dudbridge – IMDB
- Paul Dudbridge – Twitter
- Alex Ferrari’s Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Story) Book- Buy It on Amazon
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- $1 Close Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- David Lynch Filmmaking Masterclass
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Spike Lee Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking MasterClass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Mira Nair Independent Filmmaking Masterclass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Shonda Rhimes Masterclass: Learn Television Writing from the Creator of Scandal
- Steve Martin Teaches Comedy Writing & Acting MasterClass
- Annie Leibovitz Masterclass: Learn Photography from the Legend
- Jimmy Chin Masterclass: Learn Adventure Photography
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Six Secrets to getting into Film Festivals for FREE!
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you liked Making Your First Blockbuster: Write It. Film It. Blow it Up! with Paul Dudbridge, then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Making Your First Blockbuster: Write It. Film It. Blow it Up! with Paul Dudbridge? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Get Social with Indie Film Hustle:
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.