How to Direct a Micro-Budget Feature with William Dickerson
Today on the show we have an author, filmmaker and screenwriter Willaim Dickerson. William is the author of the book DETOUR: Hollywood: How To Direct a Microbudget Film (or any film, for that matter). In “DETOUR: Hollywood,” Dickerson puts the making of his “Underground Hit,” Detour, on display for all to see. He will teach you what you really need to know about making a microbudget film, or a film of any budget for that matter, from the nuts and bolts of directing, to getting your movie made and out into the world, including:
The Director as the sole defense for the story
- Understanding the two main ingredients of filmmaking: Subtext and Point of View
- Beating out a script
- The template for creating the perfect Director’s Binder
- Action Verbs: How to adjust performance through severity and mildness
- Avoiding the trap of “style over substance”
- The importance of Theme
- Detailed “behind-the-scenes” of the Pre-Production, Production, Post-Production, and Distribution of Detour
- How the distribution model has changed…for the better
William and I had a great conversation on how he put together his micro-budget feature. We go deep into the process so get ready to take notes.
Enjoy my conversation with Willaim Dickerson.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- DETOUR: Hollywood: How To Direct a Microbudget Film (or any film, for that matter).
- No Alternative
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Netflix for Filmmakers and Screenwriters)
- IFH Store (Indie Film Hustle Merch Store)
- William Dickerson – Twitter
- William Dickerson – IMDB
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- How to Shoot and Direct an Improvised Feature Film in 24 hours
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you liked How to Direct a Micro-Budget Feature with William Dickerson, then you’ll love:
Enjoyed How to Direct a Micro-Budget Feature with William Dickerson? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something.