Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
The American Film Market in the Times of COVID-19 with Jonathan Wolf
The pandemic has upended the film industries in a way we will be feeling for years to come. Not only are film festivals in limbo and scrambling to figure out how to move forward but film markets like Cannes and Berlin are as well. Today on the show we welcome back to the show Jonathan Wolf, Executive Vice President of the Independent Film & Television Alliance (IFTA®) and Managing Director of the American Film Market (AFM).
The American Film Market is the most efficient film acquisition, development, and networking event in the world. Unlike a film festival, AFM is a marketplace where production and distribution deals are closed. More than US$1 billion in deals are sealed every year — on both completed films and those in every stage of development and production.
Over 7,000 industry professionals from more than 70 countries converge in Santa Monica every November. They include acquisition and development executives, agents, attorneys, directors, distributors, festival directors, financiers, film commissioners, producers, writers, the world’s press, and all those who provide services to the motion picture industry.
At AFM, participants can discover the entire global catalog of available films and projects, attend 50+ world-class conferences, roundtables, and presentations, and connect with the independent film community’s decision-makers, all in one convenient location without the distraction of a film festival.
The American Film Market 2020 will go on during this crazy time but not how you might think. AFM will be conducted completely online.
- Industry offices – Connect with over 300 sales and production companies, and industry organizations from around the world.
- LocationEXPO – Meet Film Commissions with billions of dollars in production incentives that can quickly get films moving, and connect with facilities, service companies, and institutions.
- On-Demand Theatre – Discover hundreds of films from the world’s best producers – all on demand for convenient viewing.
- Stage 1 & Stage 2 – Over 200 speakers will participate in more than 70 live sessions – Conferences, Panels, Workshops, Conversations, and Presentations – all with on-demand replays.
- Networking Pavilion – AFM’s most interactive experience for attendees to meet. Over 50 video discussions, every hour offers endless opportunities to join small groups that share your vision, passion, and goals.
- MyAFM – The place to create a profile, discover other participants, send messages, and have Zoom meetings from inside the platform.
I’ll also be speaking at this year’s AFM with my good friend and film financing expert Franco Sama on November 10, 2021, at 2 pm PST.
Jonathan and I discuss how the distribution landscape will change in the coming months and years, how the theatrical exhibition business will bounce back, the explosion of streaming services, and how the AFM will look in the future.
Enjoy my conversation with Johnathan Wolf from the American Film Market.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Attending AFM 2020
- How to Work with AFM
- How to Sell Your Film at the AFM (American Film Market) Workshop
- DONATE to Feed America to help with people affected by the Coronavirus
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
- $1 Closed Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- The Complete Indie Film Producing Workshop with Suzanne Lyons (COUPON CODE: IFHFILMPRODUCE)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
WATCH MICRO-BUDGET CASE STUDIES
- IFH Academy – Exclusive Filmmaking & Screenwriting Training
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur™ Podcast
- Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind® Podcast
If you liked The American Film Market in the Times of COVID-19 with Jonathan Wolf,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed The American Film Market in the Times of COVID-19 with Jonathan Wolf? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email, etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Podcasts You Should Be Listening To:
Podcast: Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
Podcast: Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
Podcast: The Directors Series™ Podcast
Podcast: Inside the Screenwriter’s Mind™ Podcast
Podcast: The Filmtrepreneur® Podcast
Podcast: Filmmaking Motivation Podcast
IFH Podcast Network: Discover the Best Screenwriting and Filmmaking Podcasts
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFH Academy: Exclusive Filmmaking & Screenwriting Training
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3-Part Indie Film Producing Video Series