Please Note: Once you press play it will take a few seconds for the episode to start playing.
Confessions of an Ex-Distributor Turned Filmmaker with Jeff Deverett
I’m so excited to bring this episode to the IFH Tribe I can barely contain myself. Today on the show we have ex-distributor turned filmmaker Jeff Deverett. Jeff reached out to me after reading my book Rise of the Filmtrepreneur: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business. He wanted to tell me that the book hit the nail on the head and that my film distribution chapter was right on.
I came to find out that he was an ex-distributor and had was on that side of the business for 20 years. We got to talking and I asked if he would come on the show and spill the beans on:
- How a bad distribution deal is structured
- Why the entire film distribution business is systemically designed to screw the filmmaker
- How a distributor negotiates a deal from his point of view
- How to follow the money
- What a filmmaker needs to do NOT to get taken advantage of
After this episode, you will know “where the bodies are buried.” As Jeff said on the show
“It’s not the film distributors want to screw over filmmakers is it just happens organically.”
We also go into his Filmtrepreneurial business model. He has directed seven feature films, three of which are currently playing on Netflix. He self-distributes all his films. Jeff is a producer, director, writer, and actor known for Full Out 2: You Got This! (2020), ism (2019), The Samuel Project (2018), Kiss & Cry (2017), Full Out (2015), King of the Camp (2008), and My Brother’s Keeper (2004). Jeff’s successful film and TV career began with distribution with New World Entertainment, Astral Communications, Anchor Bay Entertainment, and his own company, Deverett Media Group.
We go into:
- How and why he chooses his niches
- How he leverages “the niche” in his filmmaking and marketing
- Why Netflix has one of the fairest distribution deals in the business
- and much more…
This episode is going to be EPIC. Sit back and get ready to have your mind blown. Enjoy my conversation with Jeff Deverett.
IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course
I’m also announcing the BETA Launch of IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course.
As part of the BETA team you will get:
- Massive discount for early adopters
- Be the first to see new lessons as I create them
- Access to me during the creation of the course
- Give feedback on the lessons and request new lessons
I want this course to be the most comprehensive course on film distribution anywhere in the world and having you be part of the BETA Team will help me do that.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED launch. I’m only making 100 seats available during the BETA Launch. Once they fill up the window will close.
WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW.
To access the BETA Version of IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course – CLICK HERE
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- DONATE to Feed America to help with people affected by the Coronavirus
- IFH Academy’s Film Distribution: Confidential Course – BETA LAUNCH
- Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
- Jeff Deverett – Official Website
- Jeff Deverett – LinkedIn
- Jeff Deverett – IMDB
- IFH 365: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur – Listen to Two Chapters for FREE
- IFH 361: The New World of Distribution at the American Film Market with Jonathan Wolf
- IFH 363: The Death of Traditional Film Distribution
- IFH 357: The True “Horrors” of Independent Filmmaking with Todd Jenkins
- IFH 358: Hybrid Distribution & Selling Your Indie Film with Peter Broderick
- $1 Closed Captions for Indie Filmmakers – Rev ($10 Off Your First Order)
- The Complete Indie Film Producing Workshop with Suzanne Lyons (COUPON CODE: IFHFILMPRODUCE)
- Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story) (FREE AUDIOBOOK)
REAL-WORLD STREAMING FILM EDUCATION
- Indie Film Hustle TV (Streaming Real-World Film Education)
- Hollywood Film School: Filmmaking & TV Directing Masterclass
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- Storytelling Blueprint: Hero’s Two Journeys
- The Dialogue Series: 38 hours of Lessons from Top Hollywood Screenwriters
WATCH THE FILMS
- IFH Academy – Exclusive Filmmaking & Screenwriting Training
- Indie Film Hustle® Podcast
- Bulletproof Screenwriting® Podcast
- Filmtrepreneur™ Podcast
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
If you liked Confessions of an Ex-Distributor Turned Filmmaker with Jeff Deverett, then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Confessions of an Ex-Distributor Turned Filmmaker with Jeff Deverett? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email, etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFH Academy: Exclusive Filmmaking & Screenwriting Training
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)
FREE 3-Part Indie Film Producing Video Series