Leaving the Money to Chase that Filmmaking Dream with Drew Waters
Have you ever been in a job you hate? Would you leave a stable job to follow your dream? Meet producer, director and actor Drew Waters. He did just that. Drew became an entrepreneur with three retail businesses and a commercial/residential construction company with partners. One day he woke up at the age of 30 and realized I wasn’t fulfilled with what he was doing, so he thought back to the moment he was the happiest.
That moment turned out to be a time, nearly ten years earlier when he was in Japan and was shooting a commercial. That realization led him to the decision to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.
The next week he sold the companies to his partner and started acting/directing /producing. His first film was a D horror movie made for $3,500 That sold and was followed up by another D horror film that was made for $1,500.
From there he made a 30k film in 10 days that sold to a distributor for a 50k MG. Now after 14 years, 60+ acting credits, 7 produced films later and working with some of the best people in the business, he opened his own production company Argentum Entertainment. Together with his producing partner, he created, directed, produced his first $2m film called New Life. Following a limited theatrical release, it now has worldwide distribution and is selling well.
I wanted to have Drew on to tell his story of how to follow your dream no matter what. He took a gambled and it paid off.
Enjoy my inspirational conversation with Drew Waters.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Drew Waters – Official Site
- New Life
- NEW LIFE – Official Site
- Drew Waters – Twitter
- Drew Waters – Facebook
- Argentum Entertainment
- Streamlette – Looking for the Best Indie Films? (Coupon Code: HUSTLE2018)
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- How to Shoot and Direct an Improvised Feature Film in 24 hours
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
BONUS: Filmmaking Resources
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Film Lighting MasterClass
- Recording Sound for Indie Film
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you liked Leaving the Money to Chase that Filmmaking Dream with Drew Waters,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Leaving the Money to Chase that Filmmaking Dream with Drew Waters? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…