Why Having No Budget Makes You a Better Filmmaker
What is this guy talking about? No budget = better filmmaker? He must be nuts. Well I’ll have to disagree with you. As I am going through my adventure on the making of my second feature film On the Corner of Ego and Desire, I have discovered that’s the truth. Having little or no resources to get your film made can really make you a better filmmaker.
When you have little or no money and limited resources you discover new and creative ways to solve problems. Those creative ways end up on the screen and that’s where innovation comes from. Doing something people say is nuts.
“No one can stop you from doing exactly what you want to do. If you can accept that the cavalry won’t come, and if you can be the cavalry, it gives you a chance to be happy.” – Mark Duplass
When I announced I was going to direct This is Meg with a micro-budget I can’t tell you how many people said I was nuts. BTW, I love it when people do that, it lights my fire. I still think most of the cast and crew still don’t know how we’re going to pull this off.
In this podcast I go over the techniques I used to not only getting the ball rolling but also getting the film shot and edited. Enjoy!
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- THIS IS MEG
- How to make a $1,000 Feature Film with Mark Duplass
- Michael Polish – How to Make Money Selling a No Budget DSLR Indie Film
- FREE DOWNLOAD – DaVinci Resolve 15
- Learning DaVinci Resolve 12.5: A step-by-step guide to editing and color grading
- Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera 2.5k Video Camera
- Robert Rodriguez Interview: How to Build a Filmmaking Empire
- Rokinon FE14M-C 14mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Lens for Canon
- Werner Herzog Master Class
- Aaron Sorkin Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- INDIE FILM SYNDICATE Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
If you like Why Having No Budget Makes You a Better Filmmaker,
then click below: Werner Herzog’s Teaches Filmmaking MasterClass Media
Enjoyed Why Having No Budget Makes You a Better Filmmaker? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…