How a 17 yr old Shot & Sold her 1st Feature on Super 16mm Film
Every once in a while, I get sent a story that blows my mind. The story is a 17-year-old 1st-time director shoots and sells her first feature film (that was shot on 16mm Film) right out of the gate.
How that hell does that happen? Well, may I introduce you to Kansas Bowling, the director of the feature film B.C. Butcher. Inspired by the likes of Russ Meyer, Annette Funicello, and Roger Corman, Kansas and her friend Kenzie began writing a script in high school about a tribe of cavewomen being stalked by a prehistoric monster.
The film is unique in many ways, being a horror flick and a comedy, featuring live music, gore, gags, and campy historical inaccuracy. Because of this, immediately after shooting, “B.C. Butcher” caught the eye of Lloyd Kaufman (see Lloyd’s interview here), legendary producer/director and founder of Troma Entertainment Inc. Troma acquired the film for distribution and is now slated for a 2016 release.
Here is a trailer for B.C. Butcher:
Kansas remains fully committed to shooting 16mm film, Super 8mm film or 35mm film and making features and videos for the cult genre. Sit back and enjoy this wonderfully inspiring interview with Ms. Kansas Bowling.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Kansas Bowling – Official Site
- Troma Entertainment
- IFH 065: Lloyd Kaufman & Troma: How I Make Money Selling Movies
- Directing Actors Master Course – (30% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- Hollywood Camera Work: Mastering High-End Blocking and Staging (30% OFF – CODE: HUSTLE)
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking Master Class
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- Shonda Rhimes Television Writing Masterclass
- Hans Zimmer Film Scoring MasterClass
- Kevin Spacey Acting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
BONUS: TOP TEN Online Filmmaking Courses
- Werner Herzog’s Filmmaking MasterClass
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course $10 SALE
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor $10 SALE
- Film Lighting MasterClass $10 SALE
- Recording Sound for Indie Film $10 SALE
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass $10 SALE
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro $10 SALE
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you like How a 17 yr old Shot & Sold her 1st Feature on 16mm Film, then click below:
Enjoyed “How a 17 yr old Directed & Sold her 1st Feature on 16mm Film” Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Stuff You Need in Your Life:
IFHTV: Indie Film Hustle TV
Book: Rise of the Filmtrepreneur®: How to Turn Your Indie Film into a Moneymaking Business
Book: Shooting for the Mob (Based on the Incredible True Filmmaking Story)