Top Ten Best Screenplays Ever Written
If you want to be a screenwriter you have to read screenplays. There’s no better place to start than then reading the masters of the craft. The Writers Guild of America (WGA) published this list of the top ten best screenplays ever written and I would have to agree.
My personal favorites on this list are Casablanca, Chinatown and Anne Hall. Click on the links below and start reading. Happy Reading…then get to writing.
Take a Listen to the Bulletproof Screenplay Podcast #1 Screenwriting Podcast for the Rest of Us! Guests include Jim Uhls (Fight Club), Doug Richardson (Bad Boys), Michael Hauge, Chris Vogler & much more.
2. THE GODFATHER
Screenplay by Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Coppola.
Written by Robert Towne
4. CITIZEN KANE
Written by Herman Mankiewicz and Orson Welles
5. ALL ABOUT EVE
Screenplay by Joseph L. Mankiewicz
6. ANNIE HALL
Written by Woody Allen and Marshall Brickman
7. SUNSET BLVD.
Written by Charles Brackett & Billy Wilder and D.M. Marshman, Jr.
Written by Paddy Chayefsky
9. SOME LIKE IT HOT
Screenplay by Billy Wilder & I.A.L. Diamond.
10. THE GODFATHER II
Screenplay by Francis Ford Coppola and Mario Puzo.
BONUS: SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
Screenplay by Frank Darabont. I had to add this remarkable screenplay to the list.
Download ALL the 2016-2018
Television Pilot Scripts
We are in a new golden age of television. Learn from some of the best writers working in Hollywood today. Read, Learn, Write!
Just sign up below to gain instant access. No SPAM EVER!
Read Screenplays From Some of Our Other Highlighted Screenwriters
- Christopher Nolan
- Quentin Tarantino
- The Coen Brothers
- Aaron Sorkin
- Stanley Kubrick
- Charlie Kaufman
- Wes Anderson
- Shane Black
- William Goldman
- Guillermo del Toro
- Darren Aronofsky
- Michael Mann
- Diablo Cody
- James Cameron
- The Black List
- Max Landis
- Paul Thomas Anderson
- Pixar Screenplay Collection
- Richard Linklater
- John Hughes
- Alexander Payne
- Jason Reitman
- Sofia Coppola
- Cameron Crowe
- Walter Hill
- Kevin Smith
- Daniel Waters
Some of the BEST Online Screenwriting Courses & Books available:
- How to Pitch Your Screenplay in 60 Seconds
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Michael Hauge’s & Chris Vogler’s Screenwriting & Story Blueprint: The Hero’s Two Journeys
- Shonda Rhimes Television Writing MasterClass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Jim Uhls’ (Writer of Fight Club) The Screenwriters Toolkit
- Paul Castro’s The MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS OF SCREENWRITING
- Paul Castro’s The Million Dollar Screenplay
- Stephanie Palmer’s Good in a Room – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
- Karl Igelsias’s Writing for Emotional Impact – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSIONS HERE
- Save the Cat!® The Last Book on Screenwriting You’ll Ever Need – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
- Linda Seger’s Making A Good Script Great – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
Enjoyed Top Ten Best Screenplays Ever Written? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…