Breaking Down Stanley Kubrick’s Slit Scan Effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey
Anyone who has ever heard an episode of the IFH podcast or comes to this site know what a HUGE fan I am of the legendary master Stanley Kubrick. His masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey will be studied for decades to come. Once eye-opening visual effect created for the film was the “Stargate” sequence in the film.
This effect was created in a time with no computers or visual effects as we know them today. The good folks over at Filmmaker IQ created an amazing explanation of the mysterious and forgotten camera technique used in the sequence called Slit Scan.
Check out the video below.
If you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole on this technique head over to Filmmaker IQ.
DOUGLAS TRUMBULL | Master Class | Higher Learning
Douglas Trumbull, the industry pioneer behind the special effects of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and Blade Runner joins post-secondary students and faculty to discuss his remarkable career in visual effects and his own directorial projects. He discusses the slit scan technique he used in 2001.
Online Filmmaking Resources:
- Werner Herzog’s Filmmaking MasterClass
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Film Lighting MasterClass
- Recording Sound for Indie Film
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you are a filmmaker watching Stanley Kubrick’s filmography is mandatory:
- FEAR & DESIRE (1953)
- KILLER’S KISS (1955)
- THE KILLING (1956)
- PATHS OF GLORY (1957)
- SPARTACUS (1960)
- LOLITA (1962)
- DR. STRANGELOVE: OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB (1964)
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)
- BARRY LYNDON (1975)
- THE SHINING (1980)
- FULL METAL JACKET (1987)
- EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)
If you liked Breaking Down Stanley Kubrick’s Slit Scan Effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey, check out
Stanley Kubrick – Breaking Down the Master’s Directing Style
Enjoyed Breaking Down Stanley Kubrick’s Slit Scan Effect in 2001: A Space Odyssey? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…