When my team and I were making my first short film BROKEN and Lipstick and Bullets we really wanted to have functional and professional looking guns for the project. Obviously we weren’t going to use real guns and getting our hands on working prop guns was too cost prohibited.
We knew we could create some bad ass muzzle flashes in visual effects but I wanted to have some practical guns on set, that had blow back, to enhance the VFX and ultimately make the guns fights look real.
Where to Find Bad Ass Prop Guns
After doing a ton of research we discovered Airsoft Guns (our killer prop guns). These are basically jacked up bee bee guns. They range in price from $12-$50 for good looking plastic pistols (excellent for wide shots) $20-$95 for metal pistols with realistic blowback (great for close ups).
These guns added so much realism to the film. The combination of practical blowback with high-end visual effect was a killer combo.
We even asked the local reseller if he had any broken guns in the back. He gave most of them to us for FREE and charged $5-$10 for $100 pistols. They didn’t work but they look great on camera.
Click on any of the links below to get some examples of Airsoft weapons.
Airsoft Prop Gun – Pistols Metal Pistols (with Blow Back):
- Desert Eagle Full Auto Airsoft Pistol (Best Option)
- Crosman P15B CO2 Semi-Auto Blow Back BB Pistol
- No6 Desert Eagle 50AE silver model
- Blackwater 1911 CO2 Airsoft Pistol, 6mm
- Crosman PRO77 Kit air pistol
- Colt 100th Anniversary 1911 Co2 Full Metal Airsoft Pistol, 6mm
Airsoft Green Gas (Fuel for Blow Back)
Airsoft Prop Gun – Pistols (Non Blow Back):
Good for background and non firing shots
- Crosman Stinger P311 Airsoft Pistol (Black) (Best Option)
- Firepower .45 Metal Slide Airsoft Pistol, 6mm
- Umarex 2276008 Combat Zone Enforcer
- Soft Air Taurus PT24/7 Spring Powered Pistol, Black
Airsoft Prop Gun – Shotguns:
- TM M870 GBB Shotgun (Best Option)
- UTG Everblast CQB Special Ops Airsoft Shotgun
- UTG Multi-Shot Combat Tactical Airsoft Shotgun – Full Stock Version
- Airsoft M500 Tactical Full Stock Pump Action Spring Shotgun
Airsoft Prop Gun – Rifles:
- BBTac BT-6808 AK47 “Beta” CQB Fully Automatic Polymer Body Airsoft Electric Gun
- KP5 CM023 Airsoft Electric Gun Full Size LOADED
- G36C (AEG write professional 10 years of age or older) (Best Option)
- Double Eagle M82 fully automatic Electric Rifle
Airsoft Prop Gun – Grenade Launcher:
Airsoft Prop Gun – Sniper Rifle:
Please note: When using these guns on set you MUST have assign someone on set to be responsible for all the prop guns. These guns might not be real but they can hurt people.
Also please check your state and city laws in regards to owning or using Airsoft guns. Always be responsible and safe.
If I may quote one of my favorite Christmas films:
“You’ll shoot your eye out kid.” – A Christmas Story
It may be funny but it’s true. Have fun and be careful. Good luck and happy filming.
Watch the video below to get all the details.
If you like this post on Bad Ass Prop Guns, check this out:
How to Build a Indie Filmmaking Empire with Robert Rodriguez
Enjoyed this blog piston How to get Bad Ass Prop Guns? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…