Please note: Throwback Fridays are archival episodes from the Indie Film Hustle Podcast. After many requests from the IFH Tribe to bring back some of the show’s best episodes, I decided to create Throwback Fridays. These episodes will not be posted every week but at least twice a month…if not more. There are so much amazing info and knowledge bombs in many of these past episodes and I don’t want them to be lost in the sea of IFH Content so I’ll be putting a spotlight on them in Throwback Fridays. Enjoy!
Turbo Kid & How to Create an Indie Film Ecosystem with Shaked Berenson
I speak a lot on IFH on how filmmakers should create their own ecosystem and revenue streams, today’s guest has done just that. Shaked Berenson is the co-founder of Epic Pictures Group, a film financing, production, and international/domestic sales company based in Beverly Hills, CA.
Shaked has produced films like the cult hit Turbo Kid (SXSW Audience Award), Entertainment (Official Sundance Film Festival Selection) and the animated film Space Dogs: Adventure to the Moon. What is great about Shaked is that he has created his own ecosystem. From financing to production to distribution, all under one umbrella. This way he cuts out the middleman and he can keep more of the profits.
Shaked came to my attention when I found out he was one of the producers of the internet darling Turbo Kid. The way that film was marketed, sold and distributed is something all filmmakers should study.
Here’s the Synopsis of Turbo Kid: Set in the post-apocalyptic year of 1997, TURBO KID is a retro-futuristic nostalgic tribute to 80’s action-adventure films follows a teenager who goes on an adventure to save the girl of his dreams.
“Mad Max on a BMX: ‘Turbo Kid’ is an ’80s adventure with added gore, and it looks nuts.” – CNET
Also if you want to study an amazing crowdfunding campaign check out what the Turbo Kid filmmakers did on IndieGoGo. We go deep down the rabbit hole all things Turbo Kid, indie filmmakers, building your own revenue streams and much more.
Here’s a bit about Shaked Berenson:
Prior to Epic Pictures Group, Berenson served as Renegade Pictures’ Director of Sales as well as the Director of Technology and International Relations for the Giffoni Hollywood Film Festival. Before Renegade Pictures, Berenson was in the Israeli Defense Force for four and half years where he served in managerial and educational roles as a project consultant to Elbit Systems and worked as a program developer for NetVision, an Internet solutions company. He holds a degree in economics and business from UCLA. – IFTA-Online.org
Enjoy my conversation with Shaked Berenson.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Shaked Berenson – IMDB
- Shaked Berenson – Twitter
- Epic Pictures – Twitter
- Epic Pictures
- Turbo Kid – Official Site
- Turbo Kid – Twitter
- Turbo Kid – Facebook
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- Studio Unknown Audio Post – Mention the IFH podcast, and you’ll receive 50% off one day of ADR
- How to Shoot and Direct an Improvised Feature Film in 24 hours
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Ron Howard Film Directing Masterclass
- Judd Apatow Comedy Writing/Directing Masterclass
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- IFH MASTERS CIRCLE – Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
BONUS: Filmmaking Resources
- Martin Scorsese’s Film Directing MasterClass (FREE 7 Day Trail)
- Ron Howard’s Film Directing MasterClass (FREE 7 Day Trial)
- Filmmaking Hacks: Filmmaking Master Course
- Directing Actors Film Workshop
- USC Film School’s ONLY Online Course: Directing the Actor
- Film Lighting MasterClass
- Recording Sound for Indie Film
- The Art of Micro-Budget Filmmaking
- Cinematography MasterClass
- Film Festival Hacks: Submit Like a Pro
- Self-Distributing Your Film Online
If you like Turbo Kid & How to Create an Indie Film Ecosystem with Shaked Berenson, then click below:
Enjoyed Turbo Kid & How to Create an Indie Film Ecosystem with Shaked Berenson? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…