Please note: Throwback Fridays are archival episodes from the Indie Film Hustle Podcast. After many requests from the IFH Tribe to bring back some of the show’s best episodes, I decided to create Throwback Fridays. These episodes will not be posted every week but at least twice a month…if not more. There’s so much amazing info and knowledge bombs in many of these past episodes and I don’t want them to be lost in the sea of IFH Content so I’ll be putting a spotlight on them in Throwback Fridays. Enjoy!
Fast and Cheap: Lessons Learned for the No-Budget Feature
On this week’s episode, I go way to a simpler time, the 90s, and discuss the lessons we can learn from some filmmaking legends. I’ll discuss films by Robert Rodriguez, Kevin Smith, Christopher Nolan, and Richard Linklater to break down and learn the techniques they used to make awesome, no-budget feature films with limited resources.
“In no-budget filmmaking, your limitations are your guide.”
If you take note of what filmmakers did before you, you can jump-start your filmmaking career. Enjoy!
I also included this killer video by The Royal Ocean Film Society. In the late 1980s and 1990s, there was a great movement indie cinema of no-budget filmmaking that was the beginning for some of the most successful and popular filmmakers of the modern day. Let’s take a look at five features from that movement and see what lessons we can learn on how to make a great film with as little money as possible.
Here are some key points discussed:
- Shoot black and white
- Be disciplined
- Try not to use guns
- Film something that hasn’t been seen before
- Take stock of what you have and make a movie about it
- Don’t take things so seriously
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- Screenwriting and Story Blueprint: The Hero’s Two Journeys
- Filmmaking Hacks
- This is Meg – Feature Film
- BlackBox – Make Passive Income From Your Footage
- Amazing Music Tracks – Royalty Free Music Licensing
- Filmmaker in a Box – Learn How to Make an Indie Film – 18 Hours+ of Lessons
- Martin Scorsese Film Directing Masterclass
- Werner Herzog Filmmaking Master Class
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting Master Class
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Filmmaking Audio Book)
- INDIE FILM SYNDICATE Filmmaking Community
- IFH’s Online Film School
- Six Secrets to get into Film Festivals for FREE!
Take a listen to:
Christopher Nolan Master Class: Directing Your First Feature
Enjoyed “Nina Foch: Directing the Actor – USC School of Cinematic Arts” Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks.
I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…
Please note some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase or use a service. Understand that I have experience with all of these services, products, and companies, and I recommend them because they’re extremely helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I earn if you decide to buy something. Thx!