Inside HBO’s Writers Room with Showrunner Daniel Knauf
Today’s guest is writer and showrunner, Daniel Knauf. Daniel Knauf had a couple of small credits to his name—a TV movie here, a stint on Wolf Lake there—when he managed to sell the intricate Great Depression-era genre show Carnivàle to HBO.
The series, an intricate blend of meticulously researched period detail and secret-history fantasy, purported to tell the tale of what happened when the last two “Avatars”—superpowered beings of light and darkness—met in the United States on the eve of World War II. The series attracted a cult audience that remains devoted to this day, but a mass audience wasn’t sure what to make of the program, and HBO canceled it after two seasons, saying the show’s story was finished, in spite of Knauf’s plan for a six-season run.
We go deep inside the writer’s room, what it takes to be a showrunner and many of his misadventures in Hollyweird!
Enjoy my conversation with Daniel Knauf.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
- IFHTV Video Podcast: Inside the Writers Room with Showrunner Daniel Knauf
- Daniel Knauf – IMDB
- Daniel Knauf – Twitter
- Daniel Knauf – Website
- Bulletproof Screenplay Script Coverage Service – Get Your Screenplay Covered by Industry Pros
- Indie Film Hustle TV (IFHTV) – Netflix for Screenwriters
- Masterclass Screenwriting Course
- FreeFilmBook.com (Download Your FREE Screenwriting Audio Book)
Some of the BEST Online Screenwriting Courses & Books available:
- Michael Hauge’s How to Pitch Your Screenplay in 60 Seconds
- Aaron Sorkin Screenwriting MasterClass
- Michael Hauge’s & Chris Vogler’s Screenwriting & Story Blueprint: The Hero’s Two Journeys
- Shonda Rhimes Television Writing MasterClass
- David Mamet Dramatic Writing MasterClass
- Jim Uhls’ (Writer of Fight Club) The Screenwriters Toolkit
- Paul Castro’s The MILLION DOLLAR BUSINESS OF SCREENWRITING
- Paul Castro’s The Million Dollar Screenplay
- Stephanie Palmer’s Good in a Room – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
- Karl Igelsias’s Writing for Emotional Impact – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSIONS HERE
- Save the Cat!® The Last Book on Screenwriting You’ll Ever Need – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
- Linda Seger’s Making A Good Script Great – FREE AUDIO BOOK VERSION
If you liked Inside the Writers Room with Showrunner Daniel Knauf,
then you’ll love:
Enjoyed Inside the Writers Room with Showrunner Daniel Knauf? Please share it in your social networks (Facebook, Twitter, email, etc) by using social media buttons at the side or bottom of the blog. Or post to your blog and anywhere else you feel it would be a good fit. Thanks. I welcome thoughts and remarks on ANY of the content above in the comments section below…